Friday 15 September 2017

Out of the Partridge Canon (cont.)

1997 September
Wednesday 10

Belter of a phone-in today: "Which is the best shape of shortbread? 'Finger', 'round', or 'round with the grooves like pizza slices but actually impossible to snap apart neatly'?" Would you believe it, 'finger' won by a convincing 100% margin! It's lucky the man phoned in or nobody would've won.

Oh, cream crackers! I've just remembered that the whole point of this morning's competition - aside from getting rid of the biscuit tin I got from Sue Ryder (the shop-cum-charity-shop - not a lady named Sue Ryder) - was to put my very neat suggestion out there. I.e. For shortbread multipacks to include a mini pizza cutter. Whatever, Lees' of Scotland probably weren't even listening. I'm sure they have bigger fish to fry. Or, rather, bigger shortbread to bake. Actually that doesn't work. The bigger the piece, the greater the need for a tool for convenient breakage. Do Lees' even make shortbread? I suppose I better ask a real Scotchman.

Dominik Diamond is a Scotch. I recall when I met him a couple of years ago at Alan Barton's (of Black Lace) funeral. He was being rather facetious at what was otherwise a very sombre affair. Dene Michael (of Black Lace) scorned him with a look of a thousand Victorian matriarches. Even Timmy Mallet shook his head. But all that's dead and buried, like Alan Barton's body. Young Mr. Diamond is a real up-and-coming chap. When I come across him again I'll ask him the aforementioned; and, as a topper, if he prefers fingers (the sensible man's choice).

No comments:

Post a Comment