Sunday 10 September 2017

Out of the Partridge Canon (cont.)

1997 September
Sunday 14

What the heck is happening to me? This has got to be the worst programme idea I've ever had:

Remote Control BattleBots - Teams of robotics hobbyists battle out their homemade toys in an arena. What was I thinking?! Worst still, I now realise I'd made a faux pas in front of Philippa Forrester when I let slip the embryonic idea. She had the gall to go off and snicker at me to her agent! And to think I forgave her for mistakenly taking my drink! I knew it was mine because there was a red lip print on the rim, from the blood of the split-lip I'd caught when Tommy Walsh thumped me. (Another honest mistake; Titchmarsh and I have similar first names. We're easily confused through typical soirĂ©e chatter.)

Still, every cloud has a silver lining as Roy Walker once said (on an episode of Catchphrase) and all this robot-brain-storming has inspired me to ask my assistant to investigate who owns the rights to K-9, the robot dog from Doctor Who. (Doctor) Who knows, there may be something in it.

A Day At the Airport - A fly-on-the-wall documentary about the goings-on ... no. Christ this is bad, I could go on ad nauseam about why it'd never be watched. (Maybe if I change the setting to a train station, retitled it Waterloo! Narrated by Alan Partridge and it might just be something that could air on UK Horizons.)

I've had worse ideas. When I was bedridden with fever for three days, I had what I'd thought was an epiphany. My scribblings in the morning had read thus: "What about a competitive cake-baking show?" It causes me to laugh, cringe, then laugh some more. (Then cringe again.) I only didn't mention it before because I was so ashamed. But I appreciate now just how much of a Benylin delirium (or "Benylirium") I was really in. I wasn't me. I can laugh again now (after my prior cringe).

Again, from the proverbial silver cloud rises the phoenix of ... a good TV format idea:

Let Them Sponge Cake - Jennie Bond tours Britain's prisons and young offender institutes, donating inmates homebaked treats. I briefly considered Dawn French and Vanessa Feltz for various reasons, but ruled them out for the glorious expense in excelsis of their mammoth fees. (N.B: It is a bit like the Cooking In Prison idea I already pitched to Tony Hayers. The basic premise is solid. I think if I just present it to him in a fresh light, maybe he won't remember he's heard it. Or that I shunted his face with Stilton.)

No comments:

Post a Comment